NYC ADHD Psychiatrist (ADHD = Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder formerly called ADD)
Updated by Natan Schleider, M.D. on January 10th, 2021
NYC ADHD Psychiatrists may prescribe Ritalin for therapy. Thisold advertisement is a bit odd but tells us how Ritalin and other ADHD medicines have changed in their uses over the years.
NYC ADHD Psychiatrist specialize in evaluation and treatment of ADHD in 2022.
So how do our NYC ADHD Psychiatrists diagnose ADHD in 2022?
Childhood history of suspect or diagnosed ADHD
Ensuring that no organic or physical ailment like a thyroid condition or a metabolic issue us causing mental health issue (which is why general practice doctors see all our psychiatry patients)
Symptoms present in two settings (for example work and school)
To further confuse the things, ADHD is divided into THREE subtypes.
ADHD INATTENTIVE SUBTYPE OR ADHD-I REQUIRES:
The best NYC ADHD Psychiatrist will not only diagnose ADHD but determine its subtype. For example ADHD-I subtype is characterized by the following:
- Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
- Have difficulty maintaining focus on one task
- Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something they find enjoyable
- Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing or completing a task
- Have trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
- Appear not to be listening when spoken to
- Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
- Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
- Struggle to follow instructions
- Have trouble understanding details; overlooks details
ADHD HYPERACTIVE-IMPULSIVE SUBTYPE OR ADHD-HI REQUIRES:
Most or all of the following symptoms, excluding situations where these symptoms are better explained by another psychiatric or medical condition which out NYC ADHD Psychiatrists look out for:
- Fidget or squirm a great deal;
- Talk nonstop;
- Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight;
- Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, and while doing homework;
- Be constantly in motion;
- Have difficulty performing quiet tasks or activities;
- Be impatient;
- Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences;
- Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turn in games;
- Often interrupt conversations or others’ activities;
ADHD COMBINED SUBTYPE OR ADHD-C REQUIRES A MIX OF ADHD-I AND ADHD-HI
SPECIAL POINT: MANY ADHD PATIENTS SUFFER FROM REACTIVE ATTACHMENT DISORDER AND MAY SUFFER LEARNING AND MOOD DISORDERS.
HOW DO THE BEST NYC ADHD PSYCHIATRISTS DIAGNOSE ADHD?
To be clear, there is no simple diagnostic test is available for ADHD diagnosis. There is NO blood test, NO brain scan, NO spinal tap, NO genetic test. Below are some ways NYC ADHD Psychiatrists can diagnose ADHD:
- Firstly, The FDA has approved Quantitative Electroencephelograms (QEEG) for diagnosis. These are performed by neuropsychologists (rarely covered by insurance).
- Secondly, there are written diagnostics tests like Conners.
- Third is a Test of Variable Attention or TOVA The Test of Variables of Attention (T.O.V.A.®) (tovatest.com)
- Fourth (AND MY FAVORITE) is the Adult Attention Deficit Disorder Self Report Scale ot ASRS Version 1.1.
- Finally there is The Vanderbilt ADHD Diagnostic Rating Scale (VADRS) is another.
Some recent studies show that certain markers in blood and urine are different in patients with ADHD:
platelet monoamine oxidase expression,
urinary phenethylamine levels,
blood plasma phenethylamine concentrations (are lower in ADHD individuals relative to controls (and the two most commonly prescribed drugs for ADHD, amphetamine and methylphenidate, increase phenethylamine biosynthesis in treatment-responsive individuals with ADHD).
WHAT ARE NYC BEST ADHD PSYCHIATRISTS USING FOR ADHD TREATMENTS IN 2022
Behavioral and talk therapies show no LESS evidence in helping Adult ADHD compared to medicine. (they do help Childhood ADHD).
Exercise seems to help Adult ADHD slightly.
‘TALK THERAPY IS LESS EFFECTIVE FOR MOST ADULT ADHD PATIENTS COMPARED TO MEDICINE BUT IT MAY HELP SOME [Source: Neuropsychiatric Disease Treatment 2008 Treatment of adults with attenti
SOME ADHD MEDICINE TREATMENT OPTIONS 2022:
- mixed amphetamine-dextroamphetamine also call mixed ampetamine salts also called d-amphetiame (Adderall)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin)
- dexmethylphendiate (Focalin)
Please contact DOCTOR IN THE FAMILY psychiatrists in NYC if you are seeking diagnosis, second opinion, and/or treatment options for ADHD / ADD by contact-us call or text 646-957-5444.
Here is a great article detailing the treatment medicine options of ADHD: 2021’s Best ADHD Medication Treatment for NYC Patients | Doctor In The Family